- IBM predicts breakthroughs in next 5 years - AI, smart sensors, and medical devices.
- IEEE Computer Society predicts the future of technology - Key innovations will include machine learning, non-volatile memories, and brain-computer interfaces.
- 3D Nanocomputer Prototype Designed - Research at UCSB by Prof. Dmitri Strukov uses 3D arrays of memristors.
- HPE Demonstrates Memory-Driven Computer Architecture - Prototype part of “The Machine” research project based on non-volatile memory and optical data links.
- Toshiba Demonstrates Deep Learning using Time-Domain Neural Network - Low-power memory arrays used for mixed analog-digital image processing with high energy-efficiency and compact circuity, suitable for IoT devices.
- Silicon Photonic Neurons Demonstrated - Researchers at Princeton University use lasers and integrated optical modulators to demonstrate neuron-like behavior that is scalable and faster than comparable electronic systems.
- Moving beyond Moore’s Law with New Research Center at Georgia Tech - “Center for Research into Novel Computer Hierarchies”
What’s Next for Transistors and Systems
The online magazine Semiconductor Engineering interviewed several leaders in Chip Fabrication, focusing on future trends in nanodevices, alternative technologies, neuromorphic architectures, and advanced packaging. The upshot is that a variety of techniques will be needed for different applications in the next decade.
Technology Considerations for Neuromorphic Computing
The 2016 ICRC was held in San Diego, Oct. 17-19, 2016. David Mountain of the Laboratory for Physical Sciences in Maryland presented a talk comparing digital CMOS to analog memristor implementations of neural networks for scaling to neuromorphic computers.
- Rebooting Computing Video Overview
- Arch2030 Workshop Report
- TTM 2016 Videos
- Workshop on Neuromorphic Computing
- Workshop on Beyond CMOS Technology
- Update on National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI)
- RC White Paper on Nanocomputers
- IEEE Computer Magazine on Rebooting Computing
- Thinking Outside the Chip
- Berkeley Symposium on Energy Efficient Electronic Systems
- RC-ITRS Report on the Foundation of the New Computer Industry Beyond 2020
- 3 Scenarios for Exascale Computing