- Details about National Strategic Computer Initiative Slowly Emerging - White House inter-agency program on future computer technology is still being formulated.
- Intel promotes new low-power device technologies - Tunneling transistors and spintronic devices reduce power compared to CMOS, which is more critical than increasing speed.
- Continuing Progress in Neuromorphic Computing - Two European neuromorphic computing systems available to external users.
- Nanoscale Spin-Wave Devices - Argonne National Lab reports fast, low-power memory and logic elements using nanoscale magnets.
- HP and Memory-Abundant Computing - Hewlett Packard researchers presented novel approaches in computer architecture at IEEE Rebooting Computing Summit
- RC and Internet of Things - RC Committee Member David Mountain talks about cybersecurity, IoT, and RC.
- How Supercomputing Can Survive Beyond Moore's Law - An Interview with Erik DeBenedictis of RC and Sandia.
- Nanotechnology Grand Challenge - Nanocomputers that can learn - RC is collaborating on a White Paper for a government-sponsored research program into small, low-power "Sensible Machines".
Energy Limits of Future Computing
This online article in Semiconductor Engineering (SemiEngineering.com) reviews the scaling arguments of a recent analysis from SIA and SRC (“Rebooting the IT Revolution: A Call to Action”). This projects that energy dissipation in computing will reach limits in several decades, unless there are major fundamental changes.
The full SIA/SRC report is available here.
Video on IEEE Rebooting Computing
The IEEE Rebooting Computing Initiative has sponsored a video for general audiences, which provides the background and motivation of the Initiative. This features interviews with key members of the RC Committee and leading colleagues in the computing and electronics industries, as well as clips from earlier RC Summits.
- IEEE Computer Magazine on Rebooting Computing
- Thinking Outside the Chip
- Berkeley Symposium on Energy Efficient Electronic Systems
- Low-Power Image Recognition Challenge
- RC-ITRS Report on the Foundation of the New Computer Industry Beyond 2020
- 3 Scenarios for Exascale Computing
- Electronics Butterfly Effect
- US Government Report on IT Research Funding
- New ITRS 2.0 Website
- New National HPC Strategy
- Future of Computer Architectures
- The Future of Exascale Computing
- Computing Needs a Reboot
- Report on Neuro-Inspired Computational Elements Workshop
- IEEE Computer Society 2014 Report on Future Computing in 2022