- IBM demonstrates phase-change memory devices for artificial neurons
- Pentagon issues new IT Roadmap
- GPU chip key to Low Power Image Recognition Challenge - Winners of recent RC-sponsored LPIRC contest used NVIDIA computing modules with graphics processing unit (GPU) chips.
- IRDS Featured in IEEE Institute - The International Roadmap for Devices and Systems (IRDS) is a new IEEE Standards Association initiative co-sponsored by Rebooting Computing.
- Parallel Supercomputing - Panel at ISC16 conference discussed importance of parallel programming in future exascale computing systems.
- KiloCore Parallel Computing Chip - Researchers at the University of California at Davis designed and tested a custom chip with 1000 processors operating in parallel, which can carry out more than 100 billion instructions per second while dissipating less than 1 W.
- Quantum Manifesto in Europe - European Union research consortium plans to spend 1 billion euros over the next ten years on research into quantum computing, quantum communication, and other novel technologies.
Neuromorphic Computing and the Brain
This article in HPCWire.com provides an overview of a presentation on Neuromorphic Computing and the Brain by Prof. Karlheinz Meier of Heidelberg University, at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC-2016) held in Frankfurt, Germany in June 2016. The article describes one of the key problems in Neuromorphic Computing, the training of the neural networks, which is orders of magnitude slower than the elementary devices themselves.
A video of Prof. Meier’s ISC presentation is available online here.
An overview of ISC-2016 is available here.
At the recent GPU Technology Conference (GTC 2016), the Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang explained how next-generation Graphical Processing Units will have major impacts on fields as diverse as artificial intelligence, virtual reality and games, and self-driving cars.
An overview of GTC 2016 is available here.
- International Roadmap for Devices and Systems (IRDS)
- Update on National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI)
- RC White Paper on Nanocomputers
- Rebooting Computing Video Overview
- IEEE Computer Magazine on Rebooting Computing
- Thinking Outside the Chip
- Berkeley Symposium on Energy Efficient Electronic Systems
- Low-Power Image Recognition Challenge
- RC-ITRS Report on the Foundation of the New Computer Industry Beyond 2020
- 3 Scenarios for Exascale Computing
- Electronics Butterfly Effect
- US Government Report on IT Research Funding
- New ITRS 2.0 Website
- Computing Needs a Reboot
- Report on Neuro-Inspired Computational Elements Workshop